The Parish of Holy
from Albany to Teal Farm
and Biddick to Barmston blessing our community in Jesus’ name for the transformation of us all
Holy Trinity Church
Tyne and Wear
Church 0191 4187911
Holy Trinity Church is known locally as the ‘Church on the hill’ and has been central to Washington’s large parish for centuries. The oval mound on which it stands, once within a rounded enclosure, suggests the re-
Unfortunately the Domesday Book (1086-
The next mention of the church came in 1196 when the bishop let out the church and its lands to a group of rectors. This year saw the start of the list of Rectors of the church beginning with John.
From the end of the 12th century a number of changes took place to the church with the help of endowments given by local wealthy families. In the 13th century the De Biddicks, a wealthy family of wool merchants from Newcastle, paid for a new large chantry. Again in the 14th century further additions and alterations took place both inside and outside the church.
Changes continued to take place until, in 1830, the inspecting architect, John Green, reported the building to be insecure. He advised that the building was irreparable and he prepared plans for its demolition and the building of a new church. In 1832 the old church was demolished and, sadly, it is likely that many historic objects disappeared. This included the Saxon (or early Norman font). However, fortunately, the font was later found, being used as a water trough, and returned to the church where it still stands.
The new church was opened in may 1833. It was now named Holy Trinity having been formerly known as St Mary’s. The cost of the new church was £1000. In 1859 an organ was placed in the church gallery. In 1867-
During the mid 19th century the population of Washington grew enormously and further changes were proposed to the building. Some even suggested another demolition and rebuild. Significant changes did take place and the church was re-
From 1883 to the present day changes have continued to take place both inside and outside the church. Major projects have included the dismantling of the bell cote in 1960 and the addition of a bell turret in 1962 above the west end -
Church plate and memorials
The Graveyard -